The Design / Build approach offers an alternative to the traditional method of Design-Bid-Build. With Design / Build, the Contractor and Architect and Engineer work cooperatively to serve the project Owner. The Owner, Contractor, and Architect / Engineer work as a TEAM to Design and Build a project that meets the Owner’s expectations.
Cost control on a project is most readily achieved early in the design process. With Design / Build a project cost is established early in the process as soon as preliminary drawings are ready.
Through positive interaction and a focus on solutions, the construction process is more efficient and productive. Delivery time of a completed project is generally shorter using Design / Build.
Advantages of Design/Build Construction
- You receive early cost input from the contractor. A price is put on conceptual design ideas as they are developed. Maximum cost savings are achieved this way.
- Time can be saved because construction can begin before the design is completed. Example: Architect could be completing interior design while the site and foundation work is underway. This technique is called FAST TRACKING (see graph below)
- Change orders are eliminated unless owner adds to the scope of work or the property has unforeseen site problems.
- Architectural and engineering fees are kept to a minimum, and determined from the beginning
- Chances for misunderstandings are minimized with the TEAM approach.
- You get the best ideas from your TEAM members due to the cooperative TEAM spirit
- Realistic completion dates are established by the contractor who will do the work